Search the blog

Monday, 17 February 2014

52 Ancestors: #7 Thomas Houston Loughridge (1832-1906) (Ballymoney, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland)

This week for my 52 ancestors post I'm going to turn it around and see if I can get some help as it's an ancestor I don't know a lot about.

Thomas Houston Loughridge is my children's 3xGreat Grandfather.

As far as I know he born in 1832 and married Jane Carson on 3rd August 1858 in Ballymoney, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. As far as I know they had 7 children - James, Matilda, John, Adam, Jane, Mary and Thomas.

Thomas and Jane appear on the 1901 census in Ballyveely with their children James, Adam, Mary and Thomas. They are all reformed presbyterians and a farming family.

"1901 Ireland Census",[database on-line], The National Archives of Ireland (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ : accessed 17 Feb 2014) Antrim, Castlequarter, Ballyveely Lr, 7, Loughridge

Thomas' death was registered in Q1 in 1906 in Ballymoney Registration District.

And that's all I've got - can you help?

I'm going to do some further digging (including visiting the GRONI stand at Who Do You Think You Are Live on Saturday) as I haven't researched this part of my family for a long time so I'll hopefully be able to update this soon.



3 comments:

  1. Well Jo - the easy part is verifying the name of Thomas's father. This name is recorded on Thomas's marriage cert. I can get you a scanned photocopy or transcription in return for a modest fee.
    After that, the absence of local preserved record collections makes further research very difficult. There are some extant Loughridge baptism records from Antrim circa 1835 which might feature extended family members - but they're not your direct ancestors.
    Regards, Gerard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerard,
      Thanks for reading my post.
      Yep, Thomas' father's name is James as per his marriage certificate.
      Can you tell me a bit more about the Antrim records - do you mean the county or the town? I believe that James also had a son called James according to his gravestone. If any parish records exist I think they will be in Kilraughts.
      Thanks for stopping by - any information is great!
      Jo

      Delete
  2. I came across your post. I am also descended from Thomas Houston Loughridge via his son John Carson Loughridge. I have a photograph of his headstone in Kilraughts RP church.
    Peter Loughridge
    Peterjlough@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete