Search the blog

Friday, 21 February 2014

Getting ready for Who Do You Think You Are Live - Part 2

Tomorrow I will be jumping on the train down to London to Olympia for what I'm expecting to be a busy Who Do You Think You Are Live exhibition.

As you can see here I've got a plan for who I want to see and I've worked out where they are likely to be.

Although I use Family Historian as my main software I have also downloaded Heredis onto my pc and my ipad. After exporting my gedcom from Family Historian I opened it in Heredis on my pc but none of my media had come across properly. I opened the gedcom file in a text editor and did a find for _FILE to replace it with FILE i.e. to get rid of the _ . Once I did this and tried opening it again in Heredis everything went smoothly and I had a copy including sources, photos, documents etc ready to go. Then I opened my Heredis app on my ipad and transferred the data - now I have my full family tree ready to take with me.


This is how Thomas Houston Loughridge is shown on my ipad in the Heredis app. I can click through to individual events and then sources and their associated media


I've got my battery pack charged up so I don't need to worry about using my ipad or phone while I'm out and about. Thanks to Karen Bailey for letting me know such things existed!!

As I'm trying to complete the Family History Skills & Strategies (Intermediate) Distance Learning Course with Pharos I'm taking my training plan with me and have printed that out - although I've obviously got an electronic copy too. Continuous development is important to me and I'm also considering a more formal genealogy qualification so I will be going to visit the tables of Strathclyde Univeristy, Dundee University and the Institute of Genalogical and Heraldic Studies. Do you have a training plan?




When I attended the seminar in Telford last Saturday I received a badge from the Guild of One Name Studies so I'm definitely taking that with me - if you see me tomorrow say hi!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment