Search the blog

Sunday, 9 March 2014

52 Ancestors #10: Hugh Redmond (1897-1966) Conshohocken, Pennsylvania

This post is part of the 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks blogging series.

Hugh Redmond is the great-great-uncle of my children and one of my few connections with America.

Hugh was born on 4th October 1897(1). He appears on the 1901 Irish Census with his parents, Hugh and Eliza, and his younger sister Adeline(2) at Knockans in Armoy, County Antrim. In 1911, Hugh is still in Knockans with his parents but now he has 6 younger siblings - one of which was my grandma, Ida(3).

In 1922, at the age of 25,  Hugh travelled to Canada from Liverpool onboard the Empress of Britain(4).

By 1930 Hugh was in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was now married to Sarah and they had 2 children, Robert and Isabel(5). He was working as a Porter in a Department Store. His brother Robert was also living with them.

The 1940 census shows the family in Lower Merion, Pennsylvania. Hugh was now a gardener and both the children were in school(6).

The next thing I know about Hugh is that he died on 20th September 1966. I have a card that must have been sent out just prior to his funeral with details of the memorial service etc.


 I also have this newspaper clipping.


I met Hugh's daughter Isabel over 20 years ago when I went on holiday to America with my parents but unfortunately I don't really remember very much except that she made some lovely chocolate brownies.


SOURCES
  1. Hugh Redmond Memorial Card; privately held by Joanne Tillin, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE], Bedfordshire, England, 2014.
  2. "1901 Ireland Census",[database on-line], The National Archives of Ireland (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ : accessed 9 Mar 2014) Antrim, Armoy, Knockans, House 9, REDMOND
  3. "1911 Ireland Census",[database on-line], The National Archives of Ireland (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ : accessed 9 Mar 2014) Antrim, Armoy, Knockans, REDMOND
  4. "UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960",[database on-line], Ancestry.co.uk (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2997 : accessed 9 Mar 2014) Liverpool England; 11 Apr 1922; Hugh Redmond
  5. 1930 U.S. census, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania , population schedule, Philadelphia, Enumeration District 0217, p.33A (penned), dwelling 494, family 532, Redmond, Hugh: digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk: accessed 9 Mar 2014); from National Archives microfilm publication 2341863, roll 2129, image 910.0.
  6. 1940 U.S. census, Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania , population schedule, Philadelphia, Enumeration District 46-90, p.2B (penned), dwelling 37, Redmond, Hugh: digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.co.uk: accessed 9 Mar 2014); from National Archives microfilm roll T627_3580.

2 comments:

  1. Good day to you. I believe, through DNA, that I may be related to this same Redmond family. I am in Alabama. My next visit to Ireland is March 30 2015. Would love to meet you if you could make a trip to Ireland then. lredmondzip36 - gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day to you. I believe, through DNA, that I may be related to this same Redmond family. I am in Alabama. My next visit to Ireland is March 30 2015. Would love to meet you if you could make a trip to Ireland then. lredmondzip36 - gmail.com

    ReplyDelete