Search the blog

Thursday, 6 March 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday: Postcard Book Page 8 - Italy and Bermuda in 1905


So, normal service is resumed after my planning for Who Do You Think You Are Live and I'm back to my Treasure Chest Thursday post about the postcard book I was given.


There's no hidden postcards this week and at the top of the page we're still in Italy - at the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele


 Then we stay in Italy where the description is Via Piliero e porto


 This card was actually posted to Nurse Hogg at Middlesex Hospital in London and the note is dated 2nd February 1905. I can't quite decipher the writing but it is something like

With love from "Jonny" - am writing later when once arrived at my destination. We reach Portsaid on Monday - and am sure of Faffa
 Any ideas? Here's a close up of the note


The final postcard on the page is from a bit further afield - Bermuda! It is entitle "Reefs on South Side, Bermuda"


Again, this is a postcard that was actually posted - here is the back of the card showing the Bermuda stamp.


The note at the bottom of the card was writtn on 14th March 1905 and I've transcribed it as:

Dear Edith, Just a line hoping to find you quite well as I am A1. We are at the end of our journey now. Get home 17th April. Next stop England. Affectionate friend.

 So I wonder where the next page of postcards will be from? Also who was the affectionate friend?





No comments:

Post a Comment