Search the blog

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

52 Ancestors #13: Ernest George TILLIN (Berkshire and India) (1874-1905)

As I've mentioned before on the blog I am conducting a One Name Study into the TILLIN surname and have it registered with the Guild of One Name Studies. This means that I collect as many references to the surname TILLIN as possible and that they are not always directly related to my family. I'm hoping to highlight some of the TILLINs that I find via the 52 ancestors blog series.

Ernest George Tillin was the Greatx3 Uncle of my children and is one of the few military ancestors we have found so far.

He was born in Aldermaston, Berkshire on 19th September 1874 and appears on both the 1881 and 1891 census in Berkshire.

In 1893 Ernest enlisted in the Rifle Brigade following time served with the 3rd Royal Berkshire Regiment.

At this time his enlistment record tells us some interesting information about him including the fact that he was 5ft 5 and 3/4 inches tall, he weighed 140 lbs, his chest expanded from 33 inches to 35 inches, he had a fresh complexion,  grey eyes and brown hair. He also had a scar under his chin.

In 1897 he took part in the campaign on the Punjab Frontier and was awarded the India Medal in 1895 and the Clasp Punjab Frontier in 1897.

The other interesting thing is that in the Next of Kin section of his service record it gives details of his family. His elder step-brother James Monger is described as part of the Royal Artillery in Meerut, India - I wonder if this was one of the reasons that Ernest joined the armed forces. Meerut is also one of the places I have postcards from in my Treasure Chest Thursday postcard series.



After re-enlisting in 1904 Edward died of a heart condition in Aden on 5th November 1905.

No comments:

Post a Comment