Search the blog

Monday, 19 May 2014

52 Ancestors #19: Woral Edward Robbins (1889-1981) Gibraltar and Woolwich, Royal Garrison Artillery

Find My Past have just released a new record set called Royal Artillery Attestations1883-1942 as part of their 100 in 100 promotion. The information is

taken from enlistment books which were maintained by British Army regiments during the period under consideration. Each record includes an image of the enlistment book and a transcription. (FindMyPast.com)

My children's great-great-grandfather, Woral Edward Robbins, was in the Royal Garrison Artillery so I decided to take a look and see what I could find out as part of this weeks 52 Ancestors post. The Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) was the part of the Royal Artillery responsible for manning the guns of the British Empire's forts (e.g. coastal artillery batteries, heavy guns attached to infantry divisions etc).


I found his attestation record quite quickly by searching for the firstname Woral even though he signed up as Edward Woral Robbins and is indexed as Edw. Woral Robins. (Just goes to show you shouldn't be too specific in your searches!) I jumped straight to the image where there appears to be a wealth of information about him. I was able to download the image to my hard drive with no problems and then I set about analysing what I had.

Here is a transcription of the record (which is really difficult to see but if you double click on it you should be able to see it bigger?)


This confirms many things I knew but also firms up the dates of birth of some of Woral's children and where they were born (Gibraltar or Woolwich.) It also give me the place of Woral and Teresa's marriage - King's Chapel, Gibraltar - which I didn't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Chapel,_Gibraltar
It looks like sometime between 1920 and 1925 the family moved from Gibraltar to Woolwich and then stayed in that area. In 1944 he was a witness at this daughter Ada's wedding and gave his occupation as Postman and address as Eltham Park, Woolwich.

Woral passed away on 5 April 1981.

Findmypast.co.uk also hold other Royal Artillery records - Royal Artillery Honours & Awards, Royal Artillery Military Medal Awards and Royal Artillery Other Ranks: Casualty Cards. I haven't found any records for Woral in these yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment