Search the blog

Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Tuesday's Tip - Where is your surname from?

Last night I watched the most recent Australasia and Europe hangout for the Guild of One Name Studies. They were discussing synthesis of a one name study and mentioned the world surname profiler.

So I googled it and headed over to the public profiler website.

The website asks you for the surname you are interested in, email address and gender then it produces a map showing areas where the surname exists.


This map shows that the majority of people with the TILLIN surname are mainly found in the UK, with a few in the US and Spain.

I also have the surname TILLING registered with the Guild as a variant of the TILLIN surname, here is the TILLING map.


It looks like there are a lot more TILLINGs around - I'm particularly interested in the fact that there seems to be quite a few in Canada and Sweden. I've noted it down for research in the future.

My final variant is TILLEN.


Again there seems to be some sort of relationship to Sweden.

Have you ever looked at the distribution of one of your surnames? Maybe take a look and see if it confirms what you already believe about the origins of your family.

I'd love to hear if you make any discoveries - leave me a comment below if you do.


Why not subscribe to the blog and keep up to date with all the latest news from Full Circle Family History.


1 comment:

  1. How amazing! I know so little about my family history, I really need to get clued up!

    ReplyDelete