Search the blog

Friday, 27 June 2014

5 on a Friday - Genealogy Books

This week for 5 on a Friday I've decided to share 5 genealogy books that I find really useful.



As we've seen with the recent Ancestry problems sometimes you can't do everything on the internet. These books are all on my shelves and some I dip in and out of while others I have read cover to cover. If you are just starting out on British family history research I would definitely recommend some of these to help you get going.

Full Circle Family History Blog: 5 on a Friday - Genealogy Books Genealogy:Essential Research Methods by Helen Osborn




My first book is Genealogy: Essential Research Methods by Helen Osborn - this is one of the few "methodology" books that focuses on British research and I highly recommend it. There are tips for beginners and more advanced genealogists. Typically I can't find my copy today so here's the stock photo from Amazon.




Full Circle Family History Blog: 5 on a Friday - Genealogy Books  Tracing Your Northern Irish Ancestors by Ian Maxwell




My second book is Tracing Your Northern Irish Ancestors by Ian Maxwell. If you are like me and have ancestors from Northern Ireland this book helps explain a bit of the history and the reasons why some documents are not where you might expect them to be. I have the paperback but it is also available for kindle.

Full Circle Family History Blog: 5 on a Friday - Genealogy Books The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers.



The third book on this weeks list is The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers. A useful book of county maps showing parishes, diocese etc all in one place. The index is useful if you know the parish and want to find out what records exist and where they could be. My copy is second hand and I managed to get it from ebay for less then £10 so I would recommend having a look there. Amazon have the more recent version available. Ancestry have recently added it to their databases so you can always look at it online too.

Full Circle Family History Blog: 5 on a Friday - Genealogy Books Ancestral Trails by Mark D Herber


Number four on the list is Ancestral Trails by Mark D Herber. An all round guide to British Genealogy so a useful reference book to have on standby. Again my version is second hand from ebay for less than £5 but you can also get new copies from Amazon.

Full Circle Family History Blog: 5 on a Friday - Genealogy Books  The Parish Chest by W. E.Tait


The final book on the list is another second hand purchase - The Parish Chest by W. E.Tait - I have the third edition. If you think that you can only find out about births, marriages and deaths in parish registers then you are only reaching the tip of the iceberg of records available in the parish chest. This is well worth reading once you are trying to get past 1837 or want to add more flesh to the bones of your ancestors.









With all these books I would recommend trying to order them from your library first to see if they are of interest to you before you spend money on them. Also, try ebay/abebbooks etc for second hand copies as apart from internet/software updates the majority of the information is still valid and no book is ever going to be 100% up to date.

So, do you have any family history books you would recommend?

If you've enjoyed this week's list why not tweet about it?

Why not subscribe to the blog and keep up to date with all the latest news from Full Circle Family History.





No comments:

Post a Comment