Search the blog

Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Tuesday's Tip - How I use.... Twitter for Genealogy

While I'm not a twitterholic by any means I do find that I've fallen back in love with Twitter. This week I've decided to share how I use Twitter for genealogy following on from last week's popular post about how I use Pinterest for genealogy.
 
Full Circle Family History - How I use Twitter for Genealogy

For those that don't know Twitter is a social media network where all the updates are restricted to 140 characters or less.

I first started using Twitter over 5 years ago for general use - not for genealogy but for the latest news (I remember sitting up in the middle of the night watching twitter the night that Michael Jackson died as twitter was more up to date than the tv news), following events like the Eurovision Song Contest (guilty pleasure but don't tell anyone!) or just to catch up with the latest information. I was always more of a follower than a twitterer. But over time I got a bit fed up of Twitter - there was too much going on and I found it difficult to follow all the different things that were happening.

When I started Full Circle Family History I thought I would give Twitter another go. The first thing I did was set up my account - this took about 1 minute and @jofullcircle was live!

Then I needed to find people to follow. I looked at blogs I follow to find a few people and from there I looked at who they followed and who they followed etc etc. At first I wasn't a very selective follower but over time I have edited my list and now rarely do I find tweets in my twitter stream that aren't of interest.

Another way to find people to follow is to search on a hashtag for example if I search for #genealogy I find a long list of current tweets including #genealogy in them. This weekend I followed the #SCGS2014 hashtag to get up to date information on the Jamboree over in California - it was brilliant and from there I discovered the livestreaming and managed to watch a lecture too.

I have found that I find out about new releases of records and history related stories first on Twitter - usually before Facebook where posts are longer but tend to be less frequent - for example, when FindMyPast released their Devon records (mentioned in my 52 Ancestors post about John Tillen) I had gone to the collection, searched and started researching before it was mentioned on Facebook.

What do I tweet? Anything and everything to do with family history and my life. A lot of the time I retweet interesting tweets from others, or share a link to an interesting webpage. At other times I do a little tweet saying what I'm up to today or just say hello. I try to take part in Follow Fridays (#FF) where I tweet a small list of people I would recommend to others to follow. Anything goes!

Why do I tweet? I like to share information I find or sometimes I just want to ask a question. There are a world of experts online and I find twitter a quick way to get access to them. Everyone is very friendly and I've often found out the answers to questions within minutes. I like to share my blog posts so I always tweet a link to my latest post to get the word out about it.

On Pinterest I have a Genealogy and Twitter board where I pin tips or people to follow.

Are you on twitter? Why not pop over and say hi?

Are you stuck for people to follow? Why not take a look at my list of people I follow? Am I missing some obvious people?

Come back next Tuesday when I'll be looking at how I use Facebook for Genealogy.


If you've enjoyed reading this article you can tweet about it or why not subscribe to the blog and keep up to date with all the latest news from Full Circle Family History.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the article. I also use Twitter and am learning more ways to increase my followers. I'll look for you.
    Thanks,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane,
    Thanks for stopping by the blog - how are you getting on with Twitter?
    I'll see if I can find you too!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete