Search the blog

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Tuesday's Tip - Be brave and change your plans!

You might have noticed that it's been a bit quiet here at the Full Circle Family History blog recently and now that things are confirmed I thought I'd share a bit about my plans and the different direction I'm heading in.



Sometimes life throws you a curveball and you need to go with the flow. As  you may know my youngest goes to school in the autumn and my plan was to make Full Circle my full time job but then an opportunity came my way which was too good to turn down - a part-time job that fits in perfectly with our family life - so my plans need to change. I've decided that it's an opportunity to take stock of where I'm likely to go with Full Circle Family History.

I'm going to continue with genealogy as much as possible but not in a full time capacity.

I think my first priority will be to finish the Pharos Family History Skills & Strategies (Intermediate) with Certificate course which I am just under half way through, having completed 4 courses since January. I think that by slowing down and taking a bit more time between courses I will actually get more out of them. So far I have enjoyed them and my writing and analysis skills are much improved already.

Also, I will be able to focus more on family history rather than trying to build up a business. I have been surprised at the amount of time during the week that you really need to spend on admin/marketing/PR/socialmedia/IT rather than actual genealogy and this part will now take a back seat.

I'm definitely going to continue with the heir hunting side as it's a great way to keep my hand in and I'm discovering new records all the time in different parts of the country. It's also improved my searching on websites such as Ancestry and Findmypast.

My TILLIN One Name Study has taken a bit of a back seat recently and I'd like to take some more time on this and establish some of the main lines. I think I'm going to use part of the Full Circle website to publicise my one name study by including details of the families. Have you seen any great one name study websites recently? What did you like about them?

I'm intending to keep the blog going but may not be so consistent with the posts. What sort of posts would you like to see? I'm going to do some more organising of my personal genealogy and thought I'd share this along with any new discoveries I make. I'm behind on the 52 ancestors challenge and would love to get back up to speed with this - maybe I'll find a whole family to write about! The postcard book is an ongoing project which I don't have a deadline for so I'm hoping to do this in batches and then schedule the posts. Does anyone have any tips for scheduling posts in blogger?

So that's a little bit about where I am at the moment. It's also coming up to the school holidays which means lots of time with the children and out and about so the blog will be a bit sporadic but I won't have gone very far! I'll still be on twitter and facebook as they are easier to update - have you popped over to say hi?


Feel free to spread the news about the changes via a tweet or why not subscribe to the blog and keep up to date with any developments.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new opportunity, but hope you keep blogging away!

    ReplyDelete